Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Scarlet Letter

I love this book! Actually, I do not. I had to read both this book and The Crucible in high school and at least in The Crucible, the people were full blown crazy. I didn't however read the Custom house. Though I have been advised not to read this, because it is very difficult to get through and understand. Difficulties with the book are limited for me, since I have read it before. I just don't like the book very much. The ending is really great, and Hawthorne's character development is done well, especially with Pearl. I never understood why Hester's husband who was so distant from her in the past, and seemed to be a terrible husband, all the sudden becomes involved in her life again when he hears a rumour that she may have had an affair. OOH what a caring man. And then he goes undercover. It's a bit psychotic to me and i never understood this deep revenge he had. Hawthorne never really got into his character too much to give him a good background and make the story more powerful when we realize who Roger Chillingworth is. There's a lot of give and take in this novel and although I do like the ending in a way, it's terribly depressing and a bit disappointing to the rest of the story, but I like how Hawthorne wrote it, that is. His use of foreshadowing and other literary elements does define his work very well. I don't have many difficulties with this text, other than it can be painfully boring to read.

1 comment:

  1. Weren't the Puritans crazy enough for you? What about the feminist implications of this plot? And how about that Chillingsworth? What drives his impulse to hide out in the woods and spy? Is this connected to his love for Hester—nope. I don't think either one of us believe that, so what is driving his stalker behavior do you think? I think it is vitally important that we understand how fiercely determined this society was to keep "possession" of their women. I think what really irked Chillingsworth was not that Hester had done the dirty deed, but rather that another man had "stolen" his property...

    ReplyDelete