Sunday, September 5, 2010

My mother never

stops worrying. In the past, it was very troublesome. I felt constricted in comparison to all my other friends' families. But now i'm gaining insight to my mother's worrying. Her whole life she's been a caretaker. Growing up it was for her family, taking care of her younger siblings while both parents worked for the army. Then she became a teacher. Then a wife. Then a mother. Her whole life has always revolved around the safety, happiness, and well being of others. So much could go wrong. In a sense, she is very obsessive compulsive about habits, rituals, and the infamous 3 or 4 calls when I may be late by 10 minutes. As the years progress, i notice these traits in myself. I'm not entirely disturbed by them anymore. My mother worries because her compassion is overwhelming. And I'd rather have a mother who obsesses over my well being, than one who wouldn't give a rat's ass. My mother never stops worrying, and I secretly love that.
But sometimes I feel like slipping her a xanax. But only out of the deepest love I have for her.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your mother—I tend to worry way too much also. Great work describing your mother here and your personal introduction is so funny! You harbor guilt and your mother worries. I bet you two have an interesting relationship! I will look forward to reading your future posts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete