Sunday, September 19, 2010

Personal comparison to The Flowers

I really relate to Sonny's desperation to go to France. For me, it's not just France, but to travel all around the world and see different cultures, and live how they live. What i relate to even more is the fact that no one quite takes Sonny seriously with his dreams. My family really does support me, but when I read a quote from Clloyd in response to Sonny it was almost like hearing it verbatim from others. Clloyd said with a smile on his face, "The boy don't think cheap, I give that to him." (Pg 14) The kind of mock behavior which is logically sound is disheartening. Both sonny and I have thought about the expenses and just how unattainable it may be for young people, but the dream far exceeds that aspect. In a reader response, Sonny's break-ins are kind of parallel to his dream of visiting France. He breaks in to other people's homes around him, in his neighborhood, to view their different cultures, relationships, etc. Since he can't escape to somewhere he desires, he settles for fulfilling a part of his curiosity and dream this way. While a lot of people think it's weird, and in a way it kind of is, Sonny's passion for France should be appreciated. Many teachers, counselors, and elders have told me to take advantage of my youth and see the world. I think Sonny may feel subconsciously trapped as well. With his mom being so young and beautiful, and witnessing the odd or seemingly damaged relationships of those around him, I believe he fears growing up in the same enviornment. Since Paris is such a different setting, he yearns for a place so opposite of the disfunctional establishment he calls home.

No comments:

Post a Comment